Geomechanical Tests Design
Rock materials have many applications in various fields, from civil engineering to chemical industry and agriculture.
The rock materials applications, especially as building or ornamental stones, are rarely supported by a deep knowledge of the rock behavior in relation to their specific use. Designers often underestimate the key importance of a careful preliminary characterization of the rock that takes into account the specific applications.
This approach may give rise to problems and possible arguments between the customer and the supplier (quarrymen). In civil engineering, it results in higher maintenance costs. In industrial applications, the variation of the physical-mechanical properties of the rock can cause the interruption of production, with possible serious financial losses.
SERENGEO provides services of design of geomechanical tests to assess the performance of the rock in specific applications, proposing new approaches and innovative procedures.
The service customization, necessary because of the heterogeneity and highly variable nature and behavior of rock materials, the high scientific and professional expertise of the working group, the scientific support of Prof. Berry (Full Professor in Mining, Tunneling and Excavation Engineering at the University of Bologna) and the collaboration of LAGIRN, laboratory of rock mechanics of Bologna University, are the main strengths of SERENGEO.
The service is addressed to construction and mining companies, mineral and raw materials processing industries.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2014) From nano to macroscale: A new experimental approach to mechanical characterization of rock materials. Proceedings International Symposium on Geomechanics from micro to macro. Cambridge (UK) 1-3 September 2014. Soga et al. (Eds) 2015 Taylor & Francis Group, London, p. 1055-1060. ISBN 978-1-138-02707-7.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2013) Influence of marble’s texture on its mechanical behavior. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 46: 785-799, DOI: 10.1007/s00603-012-0315-1, ISSN: 0723-2632.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2013) Determinazione speditiva della resistenza di materiali rocciosi: Rock Impact Hardness Number. IAGIG 2013. Como, 10-11 Maggio 2013.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2012) Approccio innovativo alla caratterizzazione meccanica di rocce cristalline: dalla macro alla nano-scala. Incontro Annuale dei Ricercatori di Geotecnica (IARG2012). Padova 2- 4 Luglio 2012, Rubano (PD): Grafiche Turato Edizioni, p. 1-6, ISBN:978-88-89524-67-1.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2012) Approccio multi-scala alla caratterizzazione meccanica in laboratorio di rocce cristalline. IAGIG2012 Bologna 4-5 Maggio 2012.
- Coli N., Berry P., Boldini D. (2011) In situ non-conventional shear tests for the mechanical characterisation of a bimrock. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 48: 95-102, ISSN: 1365-1609.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2010) A suggested approach to study variability of impact hardness strength in heterogeneous rock materials. Proceedings Geoflorida2010 – Advances in Analysis, Modeling & Design. West Palm Beach (FL, USA) 20-24 February 2010. RESTON, VA 20191-4400 USA: ASCE – American Society of Civil Engineers, vol. Geotechnical Special Publication 199, p. 1227-1236. ISBN/ISSN: 978-0-7844-1095-0.
- Coli N., Berry P., Boldini D. (2010) In situ non-conventional shear tests for the mechanical characterization of a bimrock. In: Rock Mechanics in Civil and Environmental Engineering. Lausanne, Svizzera, 15-18 June 2010, London: Taylor & Francis Group, p. 585 – 588, ISBN/ISSN: 978-0-415-58654-2.
- Coli N., Berry P., Boldini D., Bruno R. (2009) In Situ Large Size Non-conventional Shear Tests for the Mechanical Characterization of a Bimrock in The Santa Barbara Open Pit Mine (Italy). Proceedings of the 43rd US Rock Mechanics Symposium and 4nd US-Canada Rock Mechanics Symposium. Asheville, June 28 – July 1 2009, s.l.; s.n.