Rock Materials Characterization
Rock materials have many applications and their characterization is essential to assess their performances in various fields, such as in mining, civil engineering and tunneling, as well as in the Cultural Heritage preservation.
SERENGEO provides assistance in rock materials characterization, in critically analyzing and interpreting the results of geomechanical tests. The cutting edge know-how coming from scientific research is used to serve the customer. Thanks to the collaboration with the LAGIRN, laboratory of rock mechanics of Bologna University, SERENGEO is able to perform destructive and nondestructive testing (ultrasound, NMR, …) on rock materials according to the International Society of Rock Mechanics (ISRM) Suggested Methods and national and international standards (UNI, EN, ASTM). In addition to the conventional techniques, SERENGEO is able to design ad-hoc tests on rock materials for specific applications. This service requires a long experience and a deep expertise in the rock mechanics field, which the members of SERENGEO acquired in the years through the research activity at the University, and it allows obtaining a detailed and personalized analysis of the material studied, related to the problem at hand.
The service is addressed to construction and mining companies, chemical and mineral and raw materials processing industries, and Public Administrations for supporting them in writing technical specifications.
- 2014. Evaluation of the drillability of rock materials involved in a tunnel project (CGG srl)
- 2012. Mechanical characterization of ornamental stones for raised floors applications (Casone SpA)
- Bandini A., Berry P., Bemporad E., Sebastiani M., Chicot D. (2014) Role of grain boundaries and micro-defects on the mechanical response of a crystalline rock at multiscale. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 71: 429-441, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrmms.2014.07.015, ISSN: 13651609.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2014) From nano to macroscale: A new experimental approach to mechanical characterization of rock materials. Proceedings International Symposium on Geomechanics from micro to macro. Cambridge (UK) 1-3 September 2014. Soga et al. (Eds) 2015 Taylor & Francis Group, London, p. 1055-1060. ISBN 978-1-138-02707-7.
- Ghazvinian E., Diederichs M., Labrie D., Bandini A., Berry P. (2014) Crack damage evaluation of crystalline rock by means of Acoustic Emission technique. Proceedings 48th U.S. Rock Mechanics/Geomechanics Symposium. Minneapolis (USA), 1-4 June 2014.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2014) Relazione tra comportamento deformativo di rocce ed emissioni acustiche per la previsione dei rockburst. Incontro Annuale Ricercatori di Geotecnica (IARG2014). Chieti 14 – 16 Luglio 2014.
► More publications
- Bandini A., Berry P., Bemporad E., Sebastiani M. (2014) Nanomechanical characterization of brittle rocks. In: Nanomechanical analysis of high performance materials. Atul Tiwari (Ed.), Springer Publication, Series: Solids Mechanics and its application, vol. 203, cap. 11, p. 209-229, DOI: 10.1007/978-94-007-6919-9-11, Book ISBN: 978-94-007-6919-9 (Invited).
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2013) Influence of marble’s texture on its mechanical behavior. Rock Mechanics and Rock Engineering 46: 785-799, DOI: 10.1007/s00603-012-0315-1, ISSN: 0723-2632.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2013) Determinazione speditiva della resistenza di materiali rocciosi: Rock Impact Hardness Number. IAGIG 2013. Como, 10-11 Maggio 2013.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2013) Nanoindentation in Continuous Stiffness Measurement modality applied to the study of the mechanical properties of crystalline rocks. Agilent Nanoindentation Users Meeting. Roma (Università “Roma Tre”) 15 Maggio 2013.
- Bandini A., Berry P., Bemporad E., Sebastiani M. (2012) Effects of intracrystalline microcracks on the mechanical behavior under indentation of a marble. International Journal of Rock Mechanics and Mining Sciences 54: 47-55, DOI: 10.1016/j.ijrmms.2012.05.024, ISSN: 13651609.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2012) Multi-scale investigations on the mechanisms affecting the strength and deformability of a marble varying in texture. Proceedings 46th U.S. Rock Mechanics Geomechanics Symposium. ARMA 2012. Chicago (IL, USA) 24-27 Giugno 2012, ISBN: 978- 162276514-0.
- Bandini A., Fabbri S. (2012) Caratterizzazione meccanica delle rocce tramite il Rock Impact Hardness Number. Torricelliana 61-62: 3-26, ISSN:1827-4919.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2012) Approccio innovativo alla caratterizzazione meccanica di rocce cristalline: dalla macro alla nano-scala. Incontro Annuale dei Ricercatori di Geotecnica (IARG2012). Padova 2- 4 Luglio 2012, Rubano (PD): Grafiche Turato Edizioni, p. 1-6, ISBN:978-88-89524-67-1.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2012) Approccio multi-scala alla caratterizzazione meccanica in laboratorio di rocce cristalline. IAGIG2012 Bologna 4-5 Maggio 2012.
- Bandini A., Berry P. (2010) A suggested approach to study variability of impact hardness strength in heterogeneous rock materials. Proceedings Geoflorida2010 – Advances in Analysis, Modeling & Design. West Palm Beach (FL, USA) 20-24 February 2010. RESTON, VA 20191-4400 USA: ASCE – American Society of Civil Engineers, vol. Geotechnical Special Publication 199, p. 1227-1236. ISBN/ISSN: 978-0-7844-1095-0.
- Bandini A, Berry P. (2009) Determination of the relationship between textural and mechanical characteristics by means of Rock Impact Hardness Number test. Geoitalia2009. Rimini, 9-11 Settembre 2009. Udine: FIST, vol. 3, p. 262, ISBN/ISSN: 1972-1552.